Grainger is a broad line, business-to-business distributor of maintenance, repair and operating (MRO) supplies and other related products and services. More than 3.2 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products such as safety gloves, ladders, motors and janitorial supplies, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. Approximately 5,000 suppliers provide Grainger with more than 1.6 million products stocked in Grainger’s distribution centers and branches worldwide.
At Grainger, we are building systems that will extend our market leadership for another 90 years. While lots of companies talk about “digital revolutions” or “delightful experiences”, we’re focusing on building the stuff that matters. Our expertise is borne of a profound understanding of our customer and their needs and how our products and services do and should create value for them. It’s borne of sweat and toil and dealing with complexity and scale problems that few companies are privileged enough to enjoy. We are looking for exceptional product managers to help guide and chart a course for Grainger’s enterprise systems and application development so that Grainger continues to be the destination for “the ones that get it done.”
The Product Manager contributes to the product strategy, vision, and roadmap of future products, with a high degree of ownership over critical features and the customer experience. This role is inherently cross-functional and will work closely with engineering, design, and operations to develop and launch innovative aspects of a product. The Product Manager is both creative and highly analytical, able to work extremely effectively in a matrix organization, adept at synthesizing a variety of technologies and capabilities into products and applications that customers love. The Product Manager is customer focused and technology savvy – with experience creating successful products and services.
The role will lead efforts to transition to a future state Grainger.com website that helps our customers find products and complete transactions in an effortless fashion. They will work on complex, cutting-edge problems and be part of a team that gets things done.
- Lead efforts on Grainger.com to test and learn from Grainger digital innovations
- Articulate product requirements to achieve testing objectives
Work closely with the development team to realize requirements
Ensure other critical go-live requirements are understood and met (e.g. updated product information)
Develop and execute communication plan across wide range of stakeholders (e.g. Contact Centers, Merchandisers, etc.)
Establish measurement plan across KPIs and develop other customer feedback loops
Synthesize results and relevant learnings that could be applied at scale
- Coordinate overall effort to transition to future state Grainger.com website – strategy/key concepts, requirements, project management, communication, adoption
- Establish comprehensive view of website current state architecture & concepts
Build conceptual model for website desired state
Coordinate dependencies from other digital product work
Develop requirements for remaining elements of website desired state
Develop and maintain holistic plan to transition to website desired state
Identify and institute key workstreams to execute plan
Monitor progress and resolve conflicts/dependencies across all execution components.
- Facilitate and develop content for meetings up to the VP level landing the appropriate message for the audience.
- Demonstrated ability to design complex solutions to create advantaged software.
- General manager mentality, entrepreneurial drive, and proven ability to influence others.
- Exceptional written, verbal, and presentation skills; excellent interpersonal skills.
- Superior process design skills and operational orientation.
- Continuous improvement and innovation mindset that results in the understanding of emerging technologies and how they might apply within the organization, as well as driving creativity, acting with agility and thinking outside current boundaries.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions and develop project business cases.
- BS/BA degree in computer science, engineering, science, math or related field. MS or MBA preferred.
- 5+ years of experience as a product manager or related occupation. The two years of experience must involve: conducting strategic business and financial analysis, retrieving and analyzing large and complex data sets; synthesizing business insights through advanced excel modeling, data retrieval and SQL/SAS; working cross-functionally with engineering, design, and project management counterparts to deliver digital products or services.
- A track record of successfully managing products through entire life cycle – from inception to launch.
- A track record of delivering business results and managing a product or product line P&L.
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.