Origin Malting and Brewing Co is looking to hire a full-time Brewmaster with a strong background in professional brewing, facility operations and maintenance.
Origin is an established brewery with our own production malthouse. We grow our own grains malt them and brew with said grains. In our first year of business we won 9 beer awards including Best of Show at the Alberta Beer Awards
Reporting directly to the Operations Manager, the Brewmaster is responsible for all of the brewing production activities, develop and lead all aspects of the brewing departments and its staff. This is a permanent, full time, salaried position. The desired candidate must have excellent organizational, leadership, planning and management skills.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Recipe research and development, formulation and production.
- Responsible for all sensory and laboratory work for products at every stage.
- Consistently ensure quality and efficiency across all brewery processes and production lines.
- Develop seasonal and specialty beer recipes and ensure they appeal to our specified market.
- Manage all aspects of inventory control and ordering.
- Advise on selecting, expanding, upgrading and troubleshooting brewery equipment.
- Maintain excellent communication with suppliers and vendors and develop positive working relationship.
- Prepare production, monthly inventory and quality assurance reports
- Ensure brewery is compliant with safety and environmental regulations.
- Adhere to the "Safety First" methodology.
- Actively participate in developing company strategy and operating plan.
Qualifications and Skills
The successful candidate must possess the following criteria:
- A credential from an accredited brewing school or equivalent industry experience with demonstrated knowledge and experience in:
- Recipe formulation experience.
- Good knowledge of yeast varieties, framing, propagation and yeast care handling system.
- Ability to think both inside and outside of existing beer styles to create exciting new beers together with proven experimental brewing skills.
- Knowledge of keg and cask conditioned beer systems.
- Experience in selecting and buying hops, malt, yeast and other materials in a timely manner.
- Experience in flavour problem solving in the brewery;
- Experience in oxygen control systems during filtration and canning
- Up to date knowledge of Workplace Health and Safety Standards regulations;
- Knowledge of Word, Excel and brewing software for brewing operations;
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills.
- Direct brewing: 1-2 years
- Brewing: 1 year (Preferred)
- AEC / DEP or Skilled Trade Certificate (Preferred)
- Brewmaster & Brewery Operations Management (Preferred)
Job Type: Full-time