Applications accepted from:
ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
Financial Reporting & Operations
611 Walker Street
Workdays & Hours:
MONDAY - FRIDAY 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM*
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Performs professional accounting duties of moderate difficulty in the establishment and maintenance of accounts and records; prepares, researches, and analyzes accounting data; prepares intermediate level reports and financial statements; follows city-wide and departmental accounting procedures, directives, and guidelines in researching and analyzing financial data and account status; and prepares a variety of accounting reports.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to, the following:
- Reviews and processes vouchers, department bills, journal vouchers, purchase orders, etc., for submission to the Controller's office. Researches problems on invoices to expedite payment of bills.
- Analyzes and reconciles daily and monthly expenditures reports.
- Maintains proper control and procedures in processing accounting transactions.
- Researches problems and/or management inquiries associated with posting transactions to the City's automated financial accounting system.
- Assists with or performs special projects as assigned.
- Responds to customer inquiries.
- Designates and reviews accounting work assignments for accuracy and completeness.
- Provides support to departments and divisions on issues related to processing payments and charge-backs.
- Performs journal corrections.
- Reviews and ensures appropriate signature approvals on documents.
- Ability to assist management in analyzing reports.
- Measures, compiles, and analyzes metrics to assist in citywide central services accounts payable activities.
- Investigates and resolves vendor issues or inquiries.
- Assist in maintaining and updating policies and procedures.
- Ability to apply specific guidelines, internal controls and methodologies.
- Ability to analyze and/or maintain large quantities of financial data.
- Researches and responds to internal and external customer inquiries regarding the payment of invoices, payment of employee reimbursements or status of vendor setup requests.
- Ensures all documentation and authorization is received according to guidelines.
- Discusses questionable information with user departments or team leads and ensures corrections are processed.
This position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc. There are no major sources of discomfort in a normal office environment.
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration or a closely related field such as Finance, with a minimum of 18 hours in Accounting.
One year of experience as an Accountant Associate or a professional accountant is required.
Professional accounting experience may substitute for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis, except for the required minimum of 18 hours in Accounting.
Preference will be given candidates with demonstrated ability to work independently under strict time deadlines; able to organize heavy workloads and prioritize multiple responsibilities; good organizational, verbal and written communication skills.
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.**
SELECTION / SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
None; however, the department may administer and the applicant must successfully complete a skills-assessment relevant to job description.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION No
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing if a promotional position; candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification. Pay Grade 17
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during posting opening and closing dates shown. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov. To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call (832)393-6051.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
If you need special services or accommodations, please call (832)393-6051 TTY 7-1-1.
If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.