Help us boldly shape retail in Canada
Canadian Tire Corporation’s (CTC) rich heritage of serving Canadians from coast-to-coast dates back to 1922. Our vision is to become the #1 retail brand in Canada by 2022 and we are focused on innovating and making important investments in our business, especially when it comes to our people. To reach our goal, we need the best talent to help us evolve and drive change across the business – and boldly help shape Canada’s retail industry. As we strive to be at the forefront of a complex and vastly changing retail industry, it is an exciting time to join the Canadian Tire family of companies.
The Product Development (Automotive, Tools, Yard and Home) team’s mandate is to help build the equity of CTR’s Retail Brands by improving the design and experience associated with our private-label branded offerings. The Product Development Consultant’s role is to support the Product Development Manager in building products that help deliver a consistent, authentic, and customer-driven product experience through our retail brands.
What you’ll do
The Engineering Consultant role will include competitive product analyses, feature and product specifications, tear-downs, and product testing on a variety of tool categories including: Portable Power Tools, Hand Tools, etc. for Mastercraft and Maximum brands.
- Design and develop products for key categories from concept to execution. Lead and execute on the engineering and development deliverables (Feature and product specifications, product tear-downs, product testing)
- Under the guidance of the Product Development manager, creates product design briefs & technical specification packages that captures the customer centric CTQ (Critical to Quality) and CTE (Critical to Experience) deliverables
- Generate product specifications and recommendations that align with brand and delivers on the innovation needs for the category business
- Contributes to product recommendations by completing comp shops, and presents findings to the PD Manager and relevant business partners
- Provides subject matter expertise to assist the merchandising team by providing guidance on new technology, product design, and manufacturing considerations
- Work closely with the cross-functional teams at key touch points to execute the design work
- Travel (Domestic and International) when appropriate to various vendor partners to participate in onsite engineering and manufacturing builds, tooling and design reviews
- Integrates with Global Sourcing, the PRO, and Line Review teams to ensure a tight integration of the Brand Development processes with the line review processes
Who you are
- We are looking for individuals who are:
- Creative and courageous, with the ability to manage in an environment of change and ambiguity to help us take bold, strategic moves in this rapidly evolving retail environment
- Action oriented, and comfortable taking calculated risks to better serve our customers and business
- Outcome focused, critical thinkers with the ability to analyze and visualize, to ensure continuous improvement across our entire business
- Collaborative team players with superior influencing skills, who build relationships easily across various stakeholder groups to move initiatives forward
If you’re curious, ready to take on new challenges and open to doing things differently to help us evolve rapidly, then this is definitely the place to be.
What you bring
- Undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering with 2-4 years of experience in either product development or manufacturing
- Experience designing or guiding the design of a connected/IOT product.
- Must have familiarity with app UX/UI principles and design standards
- Minimum 2 years of experiences of the following industries preferred – Automotive OEM or aftermarket parts, consumer hard goods including Toys, Tools, or Home appliances
- Minimum 2 years of experience in human centered design approach and familiarity in Design Research Methodologies.
- Outstanding communicator able to clearly translate strategy into design specs or direction
- Ability to succeed with minimal supervision where priorities may shift due to changing business needs
- Experience with usability testing, ethnographic research, and product development tools
- Familiarity of basic manufacturing processes for hard lines goods
- Customer focused and action oriented
- Highly organized and detail oriented, able to tackle multiple projects with varying scope and project teams
About Canadian Tire Corporation
Canadian Tire and its family of companies are boldly shaping retail in Canada and we continue to deliver a positive experience for our customers. As one of the most trusted brands in Canada, our employees take pride in the work we do across the country. It’s more than the iconic triangle that keeps our employees around. From benefits and perks, to learning and development opportunities, to our commitment to Jumpstart – these are some of the many reasons why Canadian Tire Corporation is one of Canada’s Top Employers .
To learn more about this team and the Canadian Tire family of companies follow us on LinkedIn .
Canadian Tire is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace for all. We recognize that our future success depends on the perspectives and contributions of all our employees - their diverse backgrounds, abilities and experiences make our business stronger. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure fair and equitable access throughout the recruitment and selection process. All accommodation information provided will be treated as confidential and used only for the purpose of providing an accessible candidate experience. Consumer Brands