Canadian Nuclear Laboratories (CNL) is Canada's premier nuclear science and technology organization. CNL has been a world leader in developing peaceful and innovative applications from nuclear technology through its expertise in physics, metallurgy, chemistry, biology and engineering. CNL's 3500 highly skilled employees deliver a range of nuclear services - from research and development, design and engineering to specialized technology, waste management and decommissioning.
CNL's cyber security research team conducts leading edge research in cyber security of instrumentation and control systems in the nuclear industry. Digital security concerns and evolving standards and regulations are driving demand for safe and secure solutions by both business and industrial consumers. Unlike IT systems, industrial control systems are often bound by strict regulatory requirements and rigorous change controls that introduce complexities, risks and costs that are substantially higher for any modernization or modification and therefore requires specialists in Instrumentation & Control (I&C) systems with cyber security expertise.
CNL is looking for a Cyber Security Research Scientist/Engineer who has a keen interest and experience in software development
CNL is looking for an Intermediate Cyber Security Research Scientist/Engineer to perform the following duties:
- Serve as a core member of the cyber security research group, with particular emphasis on computer systems.
- Propose, develop, and evaluate cyber security solutions using a combination of electrical, I&C, and computer engineering.
- Responsible for software development and systems engineering in support of basic and applied cyber security research in the real-time I&C system domain.
- Support product development of cyber security products and services for critical infrastructure.
- May guide the work of junior scientists/engineers or technicians assigned to a common project. Supervision of other scientists/engineers is not usually a continuing responsibility.
- Provide presentations to stakeholders and contribute to internal reports, presentations, and technical refereed journal publications.
- Other duties as required.
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or Applied Mathematics from a university of recognized standing, or membership in an engineering or scientific professional organization authorized by statute to establish qualification for membership in that organization. Higher education (MSc, and/or PhD) is an asset.
- Have 5+ years of experience in real-time software development.
- Significant practical knowledge and hands-on experience with:
- Object-oriented software development methodologies.
- Programming languages C and C++, and at least one scripting language such as Python or Perl. MATLAB experience is an asset.
- Network and VLAN configuration.
- Configuration management in a multi-user environment.
- Modern computing technologies (e.g., VMWare and Hyper-V HyperVisors, switch and firewall configurations, Web Servers).
- Operating systems (e.g., Windows, Windows Server, Linux).
- Communication protocols (e.g., TCP/IP, HTTP, SSL).
- Experience in aspects of the systems development lifecycle and associated tools (e.g., requirements, design, implementation, integration, test, deployment, revision control, configuration management, change control).
- Knowledge and/or experience with cyber security technologies a strong asset (e.g., intrusion detection systems, forensic analysis tools, next generation firewalls, application control, whitelisting, AV, encryption, automated auditing, analytics), and advanced persistence threats, zero day exploits, malware attack vectors and threat intelligence.
- Strong technical problem solving skills, ability to make recommendations on technical issues, and prepare work plans with minimal supervision.
- Ability to think abstractly and deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems and various types of clients and customers.
- Ability to handle software and hardware problems; devise new approaches, apply existing criteria in new manners, and draw conclusions.
- Can effectively articulate novel ideas, concepts, and proposals for new projects and ongoing work.
- Experience and willingness to mentor junior developers and engineers.
CNL has an Employment Equity Program and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities and persons with disabilities
Job Type: Full-time