Posting DetailsAbility to pass background check.
This position works under the general supervision of the Director of Accounting Services, and receives direction from other experienced accountants. The position requires independent analysis, maintenance of accounting records, and assists with the preparation of Legal and GAAP financial reports.
Exempt - This position is covered by health benefits, and is exempt, (not eligible for overtime compensation) according to the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Classification Salary Range
$4,161 – $8,030 monthly
$4,161 - $4,400 monthly
Is this position Hourly or Intermittent?
Regular or Temporary
Full Time or Part Time
Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm - Additional Work Hours may be required during peak seasons
Accounting Services is responsible for Sacramento State’s financial record keeping, ensuring that the University operates in compliance with standard accounting and regulatory practices.
The staff processes comprehensive, accurate and timely financial information for reporting and management decision making, and conducts financial transactions such as expenditure transfers, chargebacks, cost recovery and assignment of General Ledger chart strings.
Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); office methods and procedures; statistical and mathematical presentation of data; advanced proficiency with current word processing and spreadsheet software programs, web browsers, query tools, integrated financial systems and/or other types of records management systems. General understanding of internal control methods. Working knowledge of federal student financial aid annual reporting requirements, and quarterly grant reporting requirements.
In addition to those of the Accountant I, ability to apply accounting principles to the analysis of complex accounting problems; analyze and interpret accounting data; prepare clear, accurate financial statements and reports; utilize problem-solving techniques in finding solutions to complex accounting problems; understand and apply applicable rules, regulations, policies, and principles; make decisions and recommendations regarding accounting activities; communicate effectively with others inside and outside the unit, including conveying technical information to non-Accountants.
Equivalent to two years of progressively responsible professional accounting experience.
Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree with a major in accounting, business administration, finance or a closely related field OR a combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities.
1. GAAP including varied technical accounting principles and practices used in the most difficult and complex financial record keeping and reporting.
2. Governmental and fund accounting principles and procedures, and related accounting system requirements.
3. Internal control methods and related laws, rules, and regulations.
4. Methods and techniques of auditing, verifying, balancing, and reconciling accounting records and responding to requests for information from auditors.
5. Student financial aid accounting and reporting requirements.
6. Use excellent computer skills and competence with a variety of applications including spreadsheets, word processing, databases, internet and complex financial accounting systems.
7. Analyze data, develop, and maintain complex statistical and management reports.
8. Use problem-solving techniques in finding solutions to complex accounting problems.
9. Create reports, charts, and queries to address specific user needs and to prepare financial reports, work papers, and compliance data for University management decision making.
10. Make decisions and recommendations regarding accounting activities.
11. Establish and maintain effective working relationships, and communicate effectively with others inside and outside the unit, including conveying complex and technical professional accounting information to non-accountants.
12. Maintain a strong customer focus while working in a fast-paced environment with a heavy workload, ongoing deadlines and frequent interruptions.
Conditions of employment;
13. Knowledge of Federal, State, California State University (CSU) and Sacramento State practices, policies and procedures.
14. Experience working with PeopleSoft / Oracle Financial System applications.
Is Background Check Required
Background Check Disclaimer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position.
Candidate will be required to provide official transcripts of their highest degree earned and must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S..
Eligible on-campus applicants in California State University Employees Union (CSUEU) Bargaining Units 2, 5, 7, and 9 will be given first consideration in the recruitment.
Conflict of Interest
California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the California State University Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of California State University, Sacramento to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interviewing process, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/index.html.
The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/Information%20for%20Job%20Applicants.html.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification. For additional information, visit http://www.csus.edu/aba/police/.
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies
Open Until Filled
First Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
Recruitment is open until filled. Priority application deadline is 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, February 26, 2020.
For questions regarding this search, contact:
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
1. * What is the highest level of education attained? •GED
High School Diploma
2. * How many years of progressively responsible professional accounting experience do you have? (full-time equivalent) •6 years or more
Less than 2 years
Documents Needed To Apply
Required Documents 1.Resume/Curriculum Vitae
3.Letter of Recommendation