Position: Business Development Manager
Reports to: Executive Director of Strategy & Business Development
FLSA Status: Full-time, Salaried
Who we are:
BayHealth is a University of California San Francisco/John Muir Health joint venture company focused on: a) infrastructure development supporting the needs of the Canopy Health Accountable Care Network; and b) serving as a joint strategic investment vehicle in support of the UCSF/JMH affiliation.
We are committed to value creation in the Canopy Health accountable care network and our shared vision with UCSF/JMH for innovation in patient experience, access, affordability and quality of care.
Organizationally, BayHealth operates under a set of dynamic objectives that align to the evolving needs of the affiliation and the marketplace. We are governed by a Board of Directors comprised equally of UCSF and JMH representatives.
o We believe the collective is stronger than the individual. We will often serve as a convener, and a strategic and solution-oriented partner whose purpose is to find synergies, and create value, across and among our partners.
o We are trusted in our words and actions. All whom we partner with know us to act with the utmost integrity and goodwill, placing our vision, goals, and partners first.
o We think, act, engage and communicate with clarity. We have a deep understanding of ourselves, our partners, and our work, and have a bias toward effective execution and implementation.
BayHealth Business Summary:
BayHealth develops outpatient services sites which support UCSF and John Muir growth into new markets as well as providing geographic infill for the Canopy Health provider network. The first project BayHealth delivered is the Berkeley Outpatient Center, or “BOPC.” The BOPC includes a comprehensive array of programs including; primary care, urgent care, specialty care, imaging and lab draw, all staffed by UCSF and John Muir physicians. Additional BOPC program offerings are under active development, as is planning for additional ambulatory hub sites in the East Bay.
In parallel, BayHealth’s IT group is developing solutions aimed at clinical integration among the John Muir, UCSF and Canopy Health providers. The group is also developing consumer facing solutions to distinguish and differentiate the Canopy Health network.
Financial Planning & Forecasting
- BayHealth develops, owns and maintains complex financial models for its projects. These models form the basis for business plans which are ultimately presented to the Board for approval and funding. In many cases, the models require updating and augmentation as a given business plan evolves.
- The Business Development Manager will lead in the development and maintenance of these financial models and forecasts, as well as in the regular reporting of performance against plan. This will usually involve working closely with finance and operations staff in BayHealth’s partner organizations to gather baseline data, understand business processes, and vet core assumptions.
- Certain BayHealth projects involve joint venturing with outside parties. The Business Development Manager will also be involved in BayHealth’s joint venture activity in the areas of valuation, deal structure and business plans.
- The Business Development Manager will serve as a resource/thought partner to BayHealth’s IT group in the areas of monetization options and analysis for the products the group is producing.
- Strong financial modeling and forecasting skills, in conjunction with the ability to work with subject matter experts and learn, will be important to success in this area.
Strategic Analysis and Planning
- While BayHealth has delivered its first wave of projects, the organization is now in the planning stage for future geographic extension, service line alignment, and Canopy Health-specific organization and operational opportunities.
- The Business Development manager will provide analytic and strategic support to the next wave of projects and development initiatives.
- Strategic analyses will include demographics, market and provider demand/supply analyses and presenting the findings in a report or presentation for senior management.
Project Management, Partner Coordination & Implementation
- BayHealth functions in a complex, matrixed environment. BayHealth’s role in this environment can range from owning/leading an initiative or process, to facilitating consensus and buy-in, to convening/engaging stakeholder groups for the purposes of setting organization direction.
- Stakeholder groups include physicians, administration, and operators as well as teams with specific subject matter expertise (i.e. strategy and planning, real estate development, etc.).
- The Business Development Manager will assist in organizing and staffing selected stakeholder meetings and processes on behalf of BayHealth. This will involve agenda coordination, meeting structure, materials preparation, and maintaining decision logs.
- Strong organization skills, the ability to work collaboratively and effectively with peers and managers in other organizations, and the willingness to be an active contributor to the work product will all be important to success in this area.
- Bachelor’s Degree in the field of business, healthcare or related field.
- 3-5 years health care experience in a provider organization, consulting or investment banking.
- Experience in developing and delivering financial and business plan presentations to audiences ranging from peers to senior management.
- Project or Program Management experience in a complex, matrixed environment.
- MBA or MHA degree or equivalent.