The primary responsibilities of this role, Senior Business Partner – Crop Science, are:
Reporting to the Vice President, Communications & PGA, the Senior Communications Business Partner will provide strategic leadership for all corporate communications activities supporting the Crop Science (CS) division in Canada. This role directs, organizes and controls the management of communications reaching key target groups, such as Crop Science Canada employees, media, opinion leaders, influencers, customers and stakeholders. They will work closely with global CS Communications, Agriculture Affairs and Sustainability (AgAS), and cross-functional teams to support achieving the Crop Science division’s business targets and objectives. They will provide strategic counsel and support to the CS Country Division Head and management team in all matters concerning internal and external communications. This role advocates, protects, maintains and enhances CS and Bayer’s reputation, including communications measures to manage and mitigate any division issues.
Key activities include
- Participate on the CS leadership team as a strategic communications advisor and counselor at meetings; ensuring communications implications of topics discussed are raised and addressed, and information is shared as appropriate.
- Provide strategic communication counsel to the commercial teams (Sales, Customer Marketing) and AgAS to develop/implement press/social/digital media tactics to support the commercial objectives. This includes strategic PR planning, budgeting and preparing internal/external spokespersons.
- Collaborate with Global CS and Regional (North America) communications teams to ensure strategic message alignment.
- Monitor and identify key media prospects and proactively build specific media outreach plans to garner earned media opportunities.
- Provide strategic leadership to CDH and senior CS leaders in managing internal and external communications, including issues management.
- Provide media training/messaging to ensure the division communicates effectively through the various internal and external stakeholder channels.
- Lead the communications process related to issues management to effectively direct messaging, including the resolution and containment of the issue.
- Lead and manage an external team of public affairs professionals and communication expertise (as required).
- Have a thorough understanding of business, scientific, regulatory, and competitive landscape of the division’s commercial brands and services.
- Support and leverage corporate social engagement and sponsorship activities, and other external opportunities to increase CS visibility in alignment with the CS vision (i.e. industry conferences and congresses).
- Ensure division is actively represented and profiled in Bayer Canada branding channels and within the internal communication channels.
- Monitor key metrics to measure success, report progress against strategies and ensure continuous improvement.
- Other tasks as required.
Who are you
Your success will be driven by your demonstrations of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possess the following:
- Bachelor’s degree required. A combination of corporate and marketing/communications agency experience. An understanding of the agricultural industry, and the issues and challenges it faces, is preferred.
- 10+ years’ experience with proven track record of developing and executing strategic corporate communications programs.
- Communications experience with background in master narrative, reputation management, crisis communications, communication planning and media relations.
- Demonstrated ability to apply innovative or out-of-the-box thinking, including digital platforms.
- Strong understanding of specific business, scientific, regulatory, and industry knowledge.
- Ability to manage a number of programs/projects simultaneously, on time and within budget.
- Ability to manage and lead a team.
- Ability to execute hands-on work, as well as remain strategic.
- A “team player” who can lead by example, with high accountability for his/her actions.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively influence senior management.
- Ability to work across function and departments.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interface with all levels of management.
- Excellent presentation and communications skills.
- Outstanding judgment, with a balance of confidence, maturity, refinement and high-energy.
- Experience in strategic communications issues management and effective external media relations.
- Experience in effective brand communications development and execution.
- Strong writing skills with the ability to transform complex information into clear, concise messaging for various stakeholders (i.e. media releases, media statements, Q&As, backgrounders and other materials).