POSITION: Resident Construction Project Engineer
Baxter & Woodman, Inc. is seeking a Resident Construction Project Engineer with 5 or more years of experience in construction observation, construction management, and/or public works management. You will need to be available to represent our municipal clients on site in the observation and management of activities related to construction of a variety of infrastructure, water, and wastewater projects located throughout Chicagoland and surrounding counties. Projects will require services ranging in duration from several weeks to several years in duration, with variable schedules and/or hours, and will be located at one of our construction or project sites. We are seeking qualified applicants for our Crystal Lake, Chicago, or Mokena offices.
- Conduct on-site observation of work, repairs, and testing, as needed.
- Monitor progress schedule and shop drawings.
- Provide general civil engineering and municipal client service.
- Requires effective communication, both oral and written, with residents, businesses, and public agency representative.
- Resolve construction conflicts and prepare cost-effective solutions.
- Review pay requests and verify work completed.
- Endeavor to provide protection for owner against defects and deficiencies in the work.
- Serve as liaison with contractor, working principally through contractor’s superintendent.
- Maintain job site records of Daily Reports, job meeting minutes, approved shop drawing submittals, and pay requests.
- Maintain records of time, equipment, and material needs for any changes in the work that may result in a change order. Review and request adjustments of compensation and/or contract time.
- Observe, measure, and document construction activities.
- Maintain daily logs of construction activities.
- Prepare payment estimates.
- Address resident complaints and concerns.
- Coordinate with the contractor and other duties as needed or assigned.
- Coordinate with Baxter & Woodman’s Construction Project Manager, and other involved Design Engineer staff.
- Must have high school diploma or equivalent.
- 5+ years’ experience in construction management and/or public works management.
- Ability to travel throughout Chicagoland and surrounding counties (own transportation).
- Strong written, verbal, and organizational skills.
- Sufficient computer and smart phone skills for file access, use, and effective operation and communication.
Baxter & Woodman is an equal opportunity - affirmative action – M/F/Vet/Disability employer