The Product Manager for Oil & Gas will manage the existing product portfolio of valves, regulators and mechanical switches, lead new product development and implementation of marketing activities to achieve sales, profitability and customer service goals. This position will provide leadership and direction in executing and refreshing the product line strategy and go to market strategy for Barksdale’s unique shear seal directional control valve portfolio. This position will also drive end-to-end product lifecycle management from defining market requirements, developing the concept, design, launch, and production realization for sustained profitability. It will require communicating and driving projects in a multi-discipline team environment that include Sales, Engineering, Customer Support, Quality, and Operations.
- Strategic Planning and Product Roadmap Development
- Develop long term vision and strategy for Barksdale’s valve, regulator and mechanical switch instrumentation portfolio through market research, market segmentation, technology trends, share estimates, and competitive analysis.
- Define product roadmap with prioritized new product development efforts with resource requirements and assess technical gaps.
- New Product Development
- Identify and feed the NPD process with ideations to improve current product offering in order to meet or exceed customer requirements
- Leads a cross functional team through new product development by defining product requirements, marketing strategy, value proposition and target launch customers.
- Leads new product launch and market commercialization
- Business Model Impact and Growth Strategy
- Develops and refreshes the business model for assigned product families by actively providing input on market/customer feedback related to cost, quality, lead time requirements, regulatory impacts, standards, prices, new product introductions, in order to develop and implement an effective business model
- Evaluate customer and distributor surveys to maintain a pulse on the served market’s perception of our performance relative to technology, product gaps, price, quality, and lead time.
- Responsible for interacting with the value streams to assure agreed service level and customer metrics are achieved
- Provide input on the key process applications in drilling, well servicing and production markets in detail in order to identify new opportunities where our products can be utilized in the current application as well as in any new adjacent applications
- Partner with sales managers to evaluate go-to-market strategy for responsible product lines by identifying and closing gaps for OEM and/or channel partners
- Participate in technical committees or specific technical groups to influence and strengthen Barksdale’s position where Barksdale’s valves & instruments are applied and provide feedback to engineering, sales and supply chain of all opportunities and possible changes in current industry thinking
- Existing product portfolio
- Drive existing products to full potential through geographic expansion and market adjacencies.
- Supports outside sales organization in driving quick turn-around of customer proposals
- Monitors and analyzes market trends and projects activity and prepares sales forecasts for use in planning manufacturing operations and for controlling inventories. (SIOP)
- Participates actively in the Operations and Quality processes including project team involvement, problem-solving, and recommending solutions to enhance and improve the quality of departmental and/or company-wide business activities.
- Defines and implements pricing strategies in line with market opportunity
- Supports Productivity Improvement projects to reduce cost and improve margins.
- Supports E & O team to monitor and drive improvement by promoting consumption/substitution and proactive analysis/elimination of E & O increases.
The preceding responsibilities and functions have been provided as examples of the types of work performed by employees assigned to this job classification. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments and to make reasonable accommodations as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering with Marketing or sales experience. A good understanding of hydraulic controlled valves/regulators and actuation used in hazardous zoned locations in O&G. MBA preferred.
- Five (5) or more years of product management, engineering or sales/marketing experience in the Oil & Gas Upstream market. Preferred experience in directional control valves and broad experience with actuation and instrumentation products (pressure, level, temperature, or flow)
- Strong application and product knowledge within the upstream Oil & Gas markets including drilling, well servicing and production segments.
- Knowledge of product design and manufacturing principals, Bills of material, Industrial Marketing and sales principles, methods and practices; applications and sales territories; technical product applications; customer service principles, practices and procedures.
- Cross function leadership through influence
- Strong communication and is seen as a visible and vocal leader
- Superior analytical skills
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to effectively handle multiple priorities
- Ability to operate across the business and in different environments and cultures
- Integrity and ethical qualities of the highest standard
- Highly motivated and innovative
- Team oriented
- Strong IT skills