Take a central role
The Bank of Canada has a vision to be “a leading central bank—dynamic, engaged and trusted—committed to a better Canada.” No other employer in the country offers you the unique opportunity to work at the very center of Canada’s economy, in a diverse and inclusive organization with significant impact on the economic and financial well-being of all Canadians. You will be challenged, energized and motivated to excel in an environment where we are reinventing central banking, renewing ways of doing business and reinforcing a culture of innovation.
About the position
Reporting to the Museum Director, you lead a team of professionals in the development, conservation and promotion of the Bank of Canada Museum’s National Currency Collection. You will manage your team’s efforts to conserve, maintain, develop and research the National Currency Collection, which includes more than 120,000 artifacts. You will also guide your team’s contribution to the overarching work of the Bank of Canada Museum, collaborating in efforts to develop creative content to interpret the Bank’s work, economic concepts and Canada’s monetary heritage, with an openness to using a variety of techniques, technologies and channels.
Your future responsibilities
- provide strong leadership that establishes and nurtures a healthy work environment, enabling all direct reports to grow and contribute to the best of their abilities
- manage team performance by setting clear expectations, providing ongoing feedback, assessing outcomes, and supporting employee development
- as a member of the Museum management team, contribute to the development of the annual objectives of the overall Museum strategic plan as well as to the Museum’s participation in the Bank’s medium-term plan and Communications strategy
- monitor the section’s progress against work plans, budgets, schedules, performance, service level agreements and business requirements
- develop and implement effective work distribution processes to ensure proper conditions for achieving excellence
- provide advice to the Museum Director on the appropriate mix of human, financial and technological resources for the Collection’s current and future needs including its safeguarding and openness to general access by the Canadian public
- maintain a network of collaborative work relationships with key partners and stakeholders inside and outside the Bank, including museum professionals, academics and numismatic and collection specialists
- support the Museum’s exhibitions, public programs and educational efforts both in-person and online
- identify research priorities and seek ways to bring to life the stories of Canada’s economy and its monetary heritage through our experts and the Collection itself
- review and approve specific initiatives and policies related to the development, maintenance and use of the National Currency Collection. This includes acquisitions, de-accessions, preservation and security policies and plans, organizational and registration methodologies, research themes, internal and external requests for loans, on-site access for research purposes, and collection imaging.
Your education and experience
- master’s degree in museum studies, management, history or related field
- a minimum of six years of management experience
- experience managing projects, including budgeting and financial processes
- an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
Your knowledge and skills
We are looking for a strong leader who can provide coaching and development, provide inspirational and intellectual leadership and who excels at communicating their passion for history.
Your technical background will include the following:
- advanced knowledge of best practices in collections management, including experience with collections databases
- advanced knowledge of research methods
- general knowledge of curatorial and conservation best practices
- ability to organise, present and communicate messages effectively through multiple channels
- work with colleagues on the Museum team and across the Bank to create awareness and understanding of the Bank’s core business and areas of responsibility
- articulate a compelling vision and win support within the team and to continuously nurture a culture of excellence
- stimulate and energize team members and provide them with coaching so that they deliver on business commitments and attain their individual professional goals
- think strategically by understanding the context and capabilities of the organization, identifying critical challenges and opportunities, and developing objectives and plans
- understand evolving audiences for the Bank and leverage the ability of the Museum to contribute to the refinement of the Bank’s messaging with respect to several different audiences
- action change and champion continuous improvement opportunities, encouraging flexibility and innovation while balancing risk
- build and cultivate a broad network of purposeful relationships that can be leveraged to gain support or commitment, establish shared goals and collaboratively develop solutions
English and French essential (bilingual) with a minimum starting level of functional (level 4) in second official language. Training may be provided to help reach the required level of fully functional (level 5) in second official language.
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet your needs at every stage of your life and career.
- Salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $87,500 to $108,100 (job grade 17)
- Depending on performance, you may be eligible for performance pay for successfully meeting (7 to 10% of your base salary) or for exceeding expectations (15% of your base salary). Exceptional performers who far exceed expectations may be eligible for higher performance pay.
- Flexible and comprehensive benefits so you can choose the level of health, dental disability and life and/or accident insurance coverage that meets your needs
- Extra vacation days (up to five each year) that you can purchase to add to your vacation entitlement
- Indexed, defined-benefit pension
For more information on key benefits, please visit www.bankofcanada.ca/careers/working-here.
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Security level required: Reliability
- Relocation assistance may be provided, if required
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.