Aecon is executing a large-scale infrastructure project in the City of Toronto.
Aecon is looking for a dynamic communications professional to lead public relations and stakeholder engagement initiatives for a key infrastructure project in the City of Toronto.
The Communication Specialist plays a vital role in sustaining a best practice approach to all project communication, stakeholder relations and community engagement activities, including best-in-class client relations. The Communication Specialist will support the execution of client-approved Project Communication Plan(s), Community Engagement and Stakeholder Relations Plan(s), Issues Management and Crisis Communications Plan(s), where required, as well as Social Media and Media Relations Strategies. The ideal candidate brings established relationships with Toronto media, and has effectively applied the principles, practices, and techniques of communication planning, development, and execution on large infrastructure projects.
The incumbent will report to Aecon’s Director, Corporate Affairs.
- Gather facts and information about the project to contribute to the development of communication materials in print, digital or social media formats (e.g., feature stories, backgrounders, fact sheets, advertisements, digital/copy writing, presentations, news releases, signs, Q&A).
- In collaboration with the client and colleagues, research, plan, develop, and execute assigned communication plans for a specific event, scope of work, and/or for issues management.
- Develop notification material for the project, such as construction notices, print and digital newsletters, post cards
- Collaborate with the client to plan, develop and write editorial content for the Project Website and Social Media platforms.
- Plan and write communication materials to support public events, stakeholder meetings and communication marketing (e.g. information boards, fact sheets, advertisement).
- Support the planning and execution of special events to mark and celebrate Project milestones.
- Support the development of presentations, banner display materials, and signs.
- Monitor media and produce weekly media snapshots, as well as media analysis.
- Track, mitigate and report Project-related issues to be addressed.
- Attend coordination meetings and working group meetings, where assigned, and proactively identify activities to be communicated to affected residents, business owners or stakeholders.
- Support emergency and crisis communications by drafting required communications materials.
- Build and maintain an information inventory.
- Attend stakeholder and community meetings, as required.
- Provide back-up graphics and production support, as required.
- Provide back-up to respond to public inquiries (in-person, by telephone or via email) about design and construction activities (including information on construction schedules, transit and traffic impacts, community meetings, etc.) in a timely and efficient manner.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge & Skills
- A post-secondary diploma in communications, public relations or journalism or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of five years of experience in communications, preferably in project communication.
- The ideal candidate brings established relationships with Toronto media
- Experience working with local or provincial governments is an asset.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Highly organized with demonstrated ability to plan and execute multiple priorities with tight deadlines and meticulous attention to detail.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including superior skills in Excel.
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop).
- Digitally and social media savvy.