The Program and Construction Management (PMCM) Group of AECOM is actively seeking a pragmatic, highly talented and experienced Cost Consultant for immediate employment in the office located in Markham, Ontario.
Reporting to the Cost Manager, AECOM is currently seeking an Intermediate Cost Consultant to provide cost estimating support. The candidate will be required to complete estimating and cost planning requirements through pre-contract design phases but also in managing and assisting in post- contract change order review.
The candidate will:
Design Phase (Required)
- Assist in developing detailed cost estimates from engineering drawings; identify deficiencies and/or questions; and assist the project team toward the answers.
- Have an understanding for the make-up of net-costs; including review of equipment/material prices, labor rates/ fringe benefits
- Assist in completing comparative system cost options i.e. cost alternatives or Value Engineering and reviews to help the design team in selection processes through-out the pre-contract design phases.
- Be willing to accumulate, evaluate and document historical cost data for the development of future estimates.
- Assist in the preparation and / or review final Engineer's estimate.
- Provide coordination and liaison with project management and project engineering personnel throughout the estimate development.
Must Have Skills/Experience (Including any required Certifications):
At a very minimum to be considered, candidates must have no less than a BA/BS degree + 2 years of cost estimating experience directly related to both engineering and/or construction projects to be considered (or demonstrated equivalency of experience and/or education).
Five years of cost estimating experience directly related to both engineering and/or construction projects is strongly preferred.
Demonstrated experience with all Architectural and structural trades is required.
Demonstrated experience with change order Analysis.
Familiarity with CIQS/OIQS,
Uniformat, and Masterformat Estimating Standards considered an Asset.
Diploma or higher in an engineering or construction related discipline 5+ years working as a cost consultant or related experience
Construction phase (desirable)
- Review contract documents and contract modifications to determine scope of work and cost allowances for scope changes.
- Assist with the determination of merit;
- Review the scope specified within the proposal to ensure it is specification compliant;
- Review labor rates to ensure conformance to the contract requirements.
- Review labor productivity to ensure that the labor hours are in conformance with contract working restrictions, overtime is appropriate, etc.;
- Review quantities and ensure there is a fair and reasonable representation of additional scope, as well as possible credits.
- Review pre-purchased material or equipment and/or equipment rental rates against fair and reasonable pricing references;
Knowledge and experience of preparing cost plans at various stages of the design on large scale transportation, residential and commercial projects, including change management and when necessary, resolution of contractual claims
Capable of interpreting design drawings and developing a cost plan from the early conceptual stage and through to pre-tender submission
Ability to use Computer based Take-off Software to prepare cost estimates in accordance with the CIQS standard method of measurement, in both elemental and trade format
PQS or CEC accreditation of the Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors
What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is
pioneering the future . Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions
inclusion, diversity and overall
employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our
core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only
delivering a better world , but working to "make amazing happen" in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours.