Under the supervision of the CEO of 3rd Stone Design, the Industrial Designer will conceive of new product ideas, develop products through the design cycle, provide aesthetic direction, contribute to company innovation initiatives, and sustain product offerings.
The Industrial Designer is responsible for providing design deliverables that meet a range of technical, aesthetic, and performance requirements for a portfolio of projects. This individual will work with the CEO and product development team members to consistently deliver outstanding product design work by utilizing a range of design skills.
3rd Stone Design is a product design, strategy and development firm that provides consulting services to the medical device, renewable energy and consumer goods industries. We also develop, contract the manufacture of, and sell our own lines of products for the worldwide market. Located in San Rafael, CA, we are a small and vibrant office with people who work hard, are passionate about our mission, and enjoy a good cup of coffee.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the CEO of 3rd Stone Design, the Industrial Designer will provide industrial design, product development, graphics and marketing collateral, document control, prototyping and modeling, visual and sustaining services.
Industrial Design and Product Development includes: Concept generation, hand sketching, SolidWorks 3D CAD modeling of parts, assemblies and creation of drawings, supplier resourcing and technical research, building, refining and testing of prototypes and finished products, fabrication and assembly of models, prototypes and hardware.
Certain aspects of new product offerings will require more in depth development of aesthetics, color, materials choice, and interaction design. These tasks may challenge your abilities and it is expected that a significant amount of learning will be required on the job.
Project Support may take the form of presentation material editing and creation in PowerPoint and other graphic software, printed material creation, editing and collation, and general project organization support. Document Control and Sustaining Services will include proper contribution PDMWorks CAD vault, adherence to quality systems guidelines and protocols, and detailed revision and configuration management for products developed by the company.
Particular Responsibilities Include:
- Leading design and development efforts on specific projects
- Leading the team to the best solutions via a thorough process
- Developing product concepts, layouts and detail designs
- Conducting design reviews of projects and contributing to preparation of materials design review meetings
- Proactively managing the material and prototyping resources and needs of a project Job Description Industrial Designer, October 2018
- Budget and schedule planning of the design portion of projects
- Working in the CAD systems used by 3rd Stone Design to assure quality and consistency across our product lines
- Participating in a thorough quality systems approach to design both for medical devices as well as high volume consumer products
- Upholding company Quality Policy including using the Design Control System
- Actively contributing to the product development team in terms of knowledge growth and process improvement
Position Requirements / Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in a design related field. Specific study in Industrial or Product Design
- 2-20 years' experience in a product design role, with direct development experience - Excellent communication skills (spoken, written and sketched)
- Experience working with out-soured suppliers: across cultures, oceans, and time zones - Detailed product conceptualization, presentation and visualization skills
- Expertise with SolidWorks CAD, surfacing chops and knowledge of PDMWorks management and maintenance
- Expert user of Adobe Creative Suite including: Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign
- Understanding of high and low volume manufacturing processes
- Ability to lead design explorations of new fields, trends, and styles
- Experience taking at least one product development process from conceptual design through to manufacturing ramp up
- Knowledge of regulated processes, either medical device or commercial electrical
- Creative thinking, sound judgment, organization, diplomacy, thoroughness, professionalism, humor and an uncanny desire to do great work.
- Ability to DEAL
Hours: Full Time Position Benefits: 3 Weeks Paid Time Off + 8 Major Holidays Health and Disability Insurance Plan 401(k) Retirement Plan with Employer Matching Flexible Spending Account for medical and other qualified expenses Friendly Co-Workers, Meaningful Work, and a job that you'll want to come to!
Job Type: Full-time